Capalaba is part of the Redlands City local government area located to the south of Brisbane and is its own council electorate, which includes the neighbouring suburbs of Birkdale, Alexandra Hills and Wellington Point. It is 20km south east of Brisbane CBD, around 32mins away by car.
The first recorded settlement of Capalaba was in the 1850s and was originally called Tingalpa. Resultant confusion forced a name change to Capalaba, which means ‘ringtail possum’ in the Yugarabul language.
Capalaba has two mid-sized shopping centres (Capalaba Park and Capalaba Central), of which one has a cinema complex (Capalaba Central), as well as a number of big box retailers (including for example Officeworks and The Good Guys) located primarily on Redland Bay Road. The popular Chandler markets, previously located in that nearby Brisbane suburb, have now relocated to Capalaba State College and are now called The College Markets.
- Population (2016) 17,333
- Private Dwellings (2016) 6,814
- Average People/Household (2016) 2.6
- Median Monthly Household Income (2016) $6,430
- Median Monthly Mortgage Repayment (2016) $1,850
- Average Motor Vehicles/Dwelling (2016) 2
- Median Age 37 (2016) – one year younger than national average
- Primary Schools 3